Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Bridge Closes at 9PM

Ocean Beach to the Golden Gate Bridge
September 12, 2007

It's not often that I do any running over 5 miles during the week so when someone offers to accompany me to do so, I take them up on it! In this case, Brad, from Oakland, and I did what will be for me the last major run before RDL. It's that taper thing you know. Brad met me at work and by 7PM we were off.

Our planned route took us from Ocean Beach through Lands End, the Sea Cliff neighborhood (say "Hi" to Robin Williams) and across the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a gorgeous night for running. Again, I wore the suspicious looking skull cap and black shirt. See that running through Sea Cliff with a flashlight and tell me I didn't just rip someone off! Yeah, just kidding. Brad was rather light with a short sleeved shirt. Once across the GG we decided to take the coastal trail to the SCA trail and ridge in the Marin Headlands. On the way up we encountered some wildlife (here kitty, kitty.) Once at the top of the ridge the wind whipped like crazy. Brad was a little chilled but the views are spectacular! This is where the story gets good!

We made our way back down the trail and right as we are under the bridge, we hear a buzz and the sound of a gate. Of course I thought we were too close to something, when Brad states, "The gate is closing!" Gate?? What the....

Yes, at Vista Point we got down the steps leading to the bridge and there it was: a sign stating that the bridge closes to pedestrians at 9PM! These gates close. There is also a sign stating to push a button to talk with a toll booth operator. Brad pushes the button. I hear one side of the conversation as Brad explains that he is from Oakland and doesn't know any better. He hangs up and says that someone will come and get us. Why? and miss the oportunity to sleep at Vista Point? Darn.

We waited by two phone booths then about 8 minutes later a uniformed police officer approaches and asks if we are the guys that need a ride across the bridge. That would be us. He leads us over to a police car. I looked at Brad and told him, "That's OK I'll get in back." We both get in back. It was a little cramped and I was about to ask the nice officer if he could move his seat up. Well, it had been a while since I was in the back of one of these, I forgot how uncomfortable they are. As we journed across the bridge, the officer chatted with us and we both realised how bored he must be. On the other side it occurred to me that he would have to let us out.

Those bridge closures really slow a person down but what a laugh! Back on the other side we finished our journey. I have just one weekend left before the Rio Del Lago 100 mile endurance run. This weekend I'll be making my final plans and getting together my drop bags. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Hehehe. It was the night for closures! I-80 was closed at Fourth Street when I got there. Had to take city streets to the Essex on-ramp.

Great running with you! See you soon.

Powered By Blogger